Friday, May 11, 2007

Something new

One benefit of writing a blog everyday while spending your summer on Rusty is that every day I have to think of something in my life that is noteworthy, out of the ordinary, or new. Some days are easier than others, and some days all you can come up with is trite. Keeps the outlook fresh even when the sand is not. So in the spirit of freshness, today's trivial tidbit is the new bathroom decor in the battalion bathroom.
The bathroom is surprisingly ornate for a men's room with brass (painted plastic) hooks on the wall and tile instead of cement. I think it is a carryover from the days when the base was a headquarters for the Republican Guard. But amidst the glitter and sparkle, what stood out today was the new shower curtain. It is a lovely royal blue with dolphins. Dolphins! In the desert! Makes me feel like I'm right back at sea! Makes me want to use gratuitous exclamation points!
When I first arrived I thought the pastel flowers on a pale yellow background was different for a men's shower facility, but the Army was still new to me. At that time, they had one dolphin shower curtain, a pink one, which I was sure had to be someone's bad joke once they found out a submariner was coming. Afterall, the Los Angeles logo was affectionately known among the crew as "the four gay dolphins" for reasons I could never understand. Nevertheless, it warmed my heart to know that they cared enough to have a welcome to the unit joke waiting for me. I always respect a little inter-service or inter-community ribbing. With the addition of the second dolphin curtain, I know that the pink dolphin shower curtain was not the Army's way of reaching out to me, but is apparently part of the Army interior design ethos as reflected in the choices of their supply system.