Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The middle is here

I must have crossed into the middle third of deployment because it is getting harder and harder to find new and interesting things to write about. I really do try to write something a little different every day, but as I was walking back from the dining hall tonight I couldn't help but notice how incredibly earth tone everything is here. There is very little ground cover, so the ground is brown. All of the trucks and tanks are brown. The buildings were white at one time, but now they are dust covered. Even the sky turns brown during dust storms. If you look hard enough though you can see some green. There is even one spot where you can, when the sky is clear, see a palm tree on a blue background and almost feel like your in Hawaii if you ignore your other four senses and most of your peripheral vision. My imagination is not vivid enough to conjure Waikiki, but Wainaie possibly.

Tonight was the first night KBR really let me down. It, being Wednesday, should by right of natural law be barbecue night, but they had some Chinese dish on the main line. Probably should have saved the hotdog option for tonight, but bygones are bygones. I'm still not starving though - had a chicken sandwich and chicken wings - and even though the routine is broken I can't complain because the food is hot and more than I need.