Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Not your grand-daddy's Army

Tonight as I was walking out of the office where I normally get my 10 minute morale call to my honey, I walked past the communications office. The fact that I get to call home (almost) every
night is one huge indication that technology has completely changed what it means to deploy. Another indication that Army life has changed is that huddled in the comms office were about five guys from the communications office. They had gotten a projector and hooked it up to their personal (I'm assuming) computers and were all playing World of Warcraft, an internet computer game, together. Comms guys are the smartest and consequently the nerdiest soldiers I know of, but still group video gaming isn't how I picture the troops passing their time after storming Normandy.
I'm not going to knock it though - they are the guys who set up my call home every night.