Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Dinner redux

Tonight there was nothing going on at the hospital during sick call so Tom, one of the doctors, asked if I wanted to get dinner. It is nice to eat with someone who as a doctor is only sort of Army. Only one complication. Last night the chief I work with got carry out, like I normally do, and was eating in the office. He had not gone through the healthy line (there is a fast food line and a healthy/regular food line) and had a chili dog. I have been good about not eating from the fast food line, but ever since I saw chief's chili dog I had been craving one. So I had to make the choice between eating unhealthy in front of my doctor friend or not getting my hot dog. That sure does sound vain, I know, but admitting you like chili dogs to a doctor is like admitting that you are an avid fan of professional wrestling to a professional opera critic. I don't know what that analogy means, and it does not make this vignette any clearer. To finish this off, I ate from the healthy line. But after we went our separate ways I went back to the dining hall and got my chili dog and ate it take out in my room. Long and short: in order to not eat unhealthy in front of a doctor I ate dinner twice. Pathetic, but the chili dog was worth it.