Thursday, May 10, 2007

Rubik's Cube

About two days ago someone brought a Rubik's Cube into the office. I have always avoided them because it is much easier thinking it would be easy to solve one than dealing with the fact that it is difficult. I spent about an hour the first day messing with it and got nowhere. Well, I made some progress, but not as much as I would have liked seeing as how Rubik's Cubes must be easy once you try. Night before last I Googled Rubik's Cube's just for a couple of hints. Lars Petrus, a guy who was third in Sweden's national Rubik's Competition at some point in the late 80's (hey, everyone has to have something) has a website that walks you through the Cube, but I just looked at it for a general overview. He actually has trade marked the name of two of his personal Rubik's Cube moves: the Niklas and the Sune. Names worthy of a Viking pursuit! Yesterday, no progress. Today I took the Cube to the computer, and had all but two pieces in the right position. I went to the last of Lars' seven page site, and started twisting the Cube and clicking the mouse. I got to the last twist and looked down. I had held the cube sideways and had messed the whole thing up. Tomorrow I will get it right and prove that the stinkin' thing is easy.