Friday, May 25, 2007

6 Years Ago Today

KBR served Surf-n-Turf today on my behalf, or at least I will flatter myself that they did. Six very long years ago more or less right now I walked across the stage at Navy Marine Corps Stadium, shook W's hand, and became Ensign Feist. If someone had told me then what I would be doing in six years, I would have told them that they were crazy because I was in the NAVY. Navy. Ships. Submarines. Oceans. Exotic ports of call. Not deserts. If I had wanted sand and dust and tan colored armored vehicle, I would have joined the ARMY. Silly me. Shows you what ensigns know.
Those six years have been very good though when you forget the less than very good parts. On May 25, 2001, I didn't have a beautiful, loving wife or the two cutest daughters on earth. I hadn't known the joy of living in Hawaii, the most beautiful place on earth. I didn't know the joy of checking off of the submarine after three years and going to take one of the best jobs around, teaching at USNA. I also didn't know how good I had it living in America as opposed to Iraq. So they have been a good six years. Even though there are large chunks of them I would gladly trade, I wouldn't trade the whole of them for the world.