Sunday, April 1, 2007

Sunday

No matter where you are, Sunday afternoons seem to be lazy. Today was no exception - even the computers at work took a break. I am getting very frustrated with the computer system the Army has because once I start to get the hang of it, they change it. They took away my old computer that was at least serviceable and gave me a new one that is supposed to be much better. It is so slow that when I log on, I go start brewing the coffee and come back when I have a cup. I've never actually timed it, but it takes about 10 minutes to log me on. I wish I could think of something funny to say about that, but it is truly not funny.

I got two more packages today. You have all been great support especially since I know that there are many prayers that come with those packages. I went to the 7pm contemporary service today, and I didn't notice any changes to the words in the songs this week, but that may be because I just don't know the words as well. I really like the preaching, but one of the things I miss most from the traditional service is the benediction. I've never really noticed that before, but I do.

The Navy chief who is assigned here with me gave me two pretty good salute options for responding to shoot'em in the face (see a couple of posts back)
1) Stab'em in the back
2) Eat your young
Even though these come directly from navy culture (he is surface so he sees more of number 2), they sound sufficiently war-like that the average soldier might not notice that I'm just referring to Navy leadership techniques. That is, after all, the point of stabbing someone in the back. Not noticing. If you're good at it. Ahhhh... I miss shipboard life.