Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Another Rusty accomplishment

Today was professionally uneventful. In my capacity as 759th MP BN EWO, I sent one email and read another 3 or so. Counting read and sent together, that's one email for every kiwi I had for dinner. If I put 280 of those days end to end and dress them up with adjectives and adverbs, I'm sure it will be enough for an Army Commendation Medal.

I did accomplish something today: I finished reading a book. I am more of a book starter than finisher so this does count as a personal victory. I would highly recommend "Unknown Quantity: A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra" to anyone interested in the history of algebra. It was actually very interesting, and I wish that I had read it before taking Modern Algebra those many years ago. Having a historical framework to put concepts in would have helped me understand what was being said and how it all fit together. On the other hand, anyone who reads this book has to accept that they have planted themselves firmly in the nerd camp. The best line in had to be "Matrices are, in short, the bee's knees." I just about blew a gasket I was laughing so hard at the truth of that line and the courage it took to write it , but only on the inside. I didn't share my mirth. After all, there is smart, and then there is Army smart. Huah!