Sunday, April 8, 2007

Many reasons to miss Hawaii

Two nights ago I decided to listen to a little Daniel Ho, so I started playing Ko-Aloha. That was Kate's favorite especially when we lived in Hawaii. So many good memories. I started to get a little down about all the new memories I am missing out here. That is a sad fact. But thinking back to all the good times we had in Hawaii I realized that those memories I do have are rich enough to replay over and over again out here, and even though I will be missing a lot this year, I am blessed beyond measuring just to have had so many happy days that I can't even remember which was the best. Maybe if I just went from making memory to making memory, I wouldn't have the chance to fully enjoy them while they are still fresh. I'd be more than willing to try out that making memories faster than I can fully appreciate them, but there is a richness to having the time to be able to look forward to making memories. Most people are so busy raising their kids that they don't really savor the memories until it's too late. Not me.

As if I needed any more reason to miss Hawaii, last night I was listening to whoever sings "Pineapple Princess." They were singing "I miss you my Hawaii," and right as they were mentioning the shores of Wainaie, I heard a huge boom. For some reason I decided that I needed to stop the music before I ran out to the bunker. The mortars or rockets or whatever they were were not near us and didn't hit anything, but they did underscore yet one more reason that Hawaii is better than Baghdad.