Monday, April 9, 2007

A little confused

Rusty is giving me conflicting signals. Yesterday they had Sunrise Crystal Light packets. As one of my overlords said when we first arrived and were told to drink, drink, drink to avoid dehydration, "Sometimes water flavored water gets old." This is a real problem in a war zone, or would be were it not for KBR. Next to all the exits at the chow hall there are piles of individually packaged Gatorade and Gatorade's sugar free cousins. Ever since I arrived at Rusty, I had missed the sugar free variety available at Camp Victory, for here there was only one choice a meal and that usually lemon-lime Tang. Sometimes they would throw out Tang fruit punch, but those two get old. Imagine I just said that in a really whiny voice. Apparently KBR got tired of imagining that voice, and a couple days ago they put out Raspberry Ice Crystal Light. SCORE!! Yesterday they put out the mother of all Crystal lights, Sunrise. DOUBLE SCORE!! It's excellent. The whining has subsided.

Here's where the confusion comes in. I just got done reading George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia." It is one of National Review's 10 best non-fiction books of last century, and "Without it, no study in meaning in the twentieth century is complete." Wouldn't want my meaning studies to be incomplete, so I got it and read it. Got to say, it's one of the best autobiographical accounts of the Spanish Civil War that I've ever read. Something that resonated with me was Orwell's statement that every war has certain things in common: cold, lack of sleep, and lice. Only when someone turns the AC too low, no, and no. I'm one out of three if I fudge. So if I'm not at war, where am I? I'll think on that as I sip my Sunrise.