Saturday, April 21, 2007

Coincidence

Today was another beautiful Rusty day. Spring was in the air and music was running through my mind. Yesterday when I was doing penance for an extra KBR provided hash brown in the gym, the song "I believe in miracles, you sexy thing," by Hot Chocolate was on the radio. The only reason I know the name or group is that it has been going through my mind for the past 29 hours so I looked it up on the net. The tune is really very catch, but as you can guess based on the title, it will probably not replace "Blessed Assurance" in the hymnal any time soon. Words aside, the tune is infectious.

Speaking of infectious and tunes, as I was walking back from the hospital (get it - infectious?) I passed a mortar bunker that two girls were using for a smoke break. They were singing "American Girl" by Trisha Yearwood and giggling. It sounded very innocent and happy. A bit farther down the road, I passed a 18-wheeler resupply truck with its Third Country National (or TCN as the Army has acronymized them - they are the Bangladeshi's who cook the food, clean the port-a-johns, and drive the unarmored trucks in the resupply convoy for a KBR $5 a day paycheck) crew sitting on the trailer playing a flute and singing.

If I were an NPR correspondent I could have linked the two events together, probably with the flute music as a ketchy intro and made an ambiguously anti-war story out of the cross cultural appeal of music, blah, blah, blah. But I fall asleep when I read books with big words and too many footnotes, so I didn’t study anthropology or world lit – thus I don’t work for NPR. Sadly all I can offer is a question: what are the chances of hearing two separate groups singing on the same walk? I guess it was 100%.

1 comment:

The Queen said...

Here's a lottery chance thing you might like...some guy studied it and found that you have as much chance of winning the lottery whether you play or not. Thought you'd like that one.