Saturday, September 8, 2007

Cold Desert Nights

I’ve heard stories about people freezing to death at night in the desert after almost dying of heat stroke during the day. If you’re outside in Baghdad, that is not the likely. It stays hot outside all night. Hot. Inside the weather is not as predictable because inside weather depends on third country national air conditioner repairmen. Last week it was warm but not terrible. Someone decided that good enough was not and put in a repair request.

The third country nationals came through. It is now cold. The reason being that while TCN’s do a great job at repairing the air conditioning unit, they don’t know how to install thermostats. I’ve heard rumors that there is one in the building, but I can’t believe that it is connected as my room temperature at night is sub-Arctic and I have never walked past our air conditioner when it is not running full speed. Last night I slept with two blankets, a sheet, my sleeping bag thrown on top, and a knit cap. The knit cap was a gift from a family in my parent’s church that when I originally got it did not think would be useful, but that I now find very useful. Thank you.

No comments: