Friday, March 16, 2007

I have an excuse

It is surf and turf night at Chez Roosty, so I have an excuse. I am, even as I type, chewing on a fried scallop, I just finished a lobster tail, and I have a steak yet to go. I have found the fourth KBR food group - formerly unclean sea creatures. I am not normally a huge fan of lobster (although scallops are always a win), but tonight it was delicious, or delish as my Grandma would say. I will add lobster and scallops to bacon as the second blessing of Christmas. Yes, they are farther down the list than number two, but all the other blessings of Christmas are very important, so I can say that they are a second kind of blessing. Anyway, I am in a pretty chipper mood tonight all things considered. (BTW, just had a bite of the steak - very tender and flavorful.)
Speaking of my Grandma, I just got a letter from her today, and she said she reads my blog. Hi Grandma. I also got a letter from Aunt Nancy. I will attribute some of the chipper-ness or chipper-larity to them as well.
Today I started the day by making a to do list, and I pulled the old Navy trick of writing down things that are insignificant but easily accomplishable just so that I can mark them off. I succeeded in getting my laundry and answering Brad's email. Check. Check. I moved some other things to the right, but any accomplishment makes for a fine Navy day, and that was TWO. I also stayed busy with some other menial work related tasks, which you taxpayers should really just consider a bonus.
I made some power point slides, too. The Army is fanatical about power point. Like fifth dimension fanatical. Like waiting for the spaceship and drinking the kool-aid fanatical. They will type a word document and then import it to power point. Not kidding. I saw it. I defy anyone in the Army to give me a semi-coherent explanation of that. Any takers? I didn't think so.
Well, that was my day. Two power point slides, getting my laundry, and an email to Brad. The bulk of my day anyway.
I am going to sign off with this thought. I know that both of my grandpas didn't eat food like this - and they didn't have a FOB to come home to every night. There are guys out there tonight in more remote outposts because of the new security plan (we have to call it Quad al-Farnoon instead of some cool name like OIF-XXI) who don't sleep in a bed or eat KBR. They are fighting the good (hard) fight and my hat's off to them. Every night when I walk to the DFAC (dining facility), I pass rows and rows of tanks and Bradleys and armored Hummers. Yesterday, one didn't come back. Those guys who go outside the wire earn the food I eat. I get to eat good food because they earn it. And for those people out there who say that what we're doing over here isn't good, I will say that I listen all day to how our guys are out there, sometimes beating their head against a wall of culture, sometimes getting killed, but also doing good and making bits of progress. Tonight, there are Iraqis who will be alive today because of the efforts. That is more than one final thought, I apologize, but give those guys your prayers tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here.

...and as for that Army mentality thing....we just like those cool words...."power" and "point"

spanks. said...

referecing my last comment:
chipperlarity, on the other hand, is NOT a word.

as for your final thoughts:
aye. hear, hear!