Friday, March 23, 2007

Another day in paradise

Not Hajii paradise with the 72 raisins, mind you, but Rusty paradise. I just finished lobster and scallops, so it must be Friday. Today we had our weekly battalion update brief, and the battalion commander didn't have any unanswerable questions for me during my 3 minutes of talking, so that is a success. At the end, he said something which I don't remember, and I responded with "Aye, sir." Everyone thought that was very funny, but I didn't even notice I had said it. I'm just glad I didn't call the BC captain since that does not play as well in translation to Army speak. When everyone stopped laughing, he said I could call him skipper in a spirit of joviality. He may have meant it in jest, but he'll get used to it. I take my position as senior submariner on Rustamiyah very seriously. Very seriously.

For lunch I had a bag of Lay's French Cheese potato chips just out of curiosity. Didn't know such a thing existed, and was very excited at an exotic new flavor. Not exotic. Not new. Just cheddar cheese flavor with a special name. Slightly disappointed.

Thanks to everyone who sends mail. This is by no means WWII where mail call is the highlight of the day since I stay connected with everyone via email, but it is nice nonetheless. I think I must have the best in-laws out there. In addition to raising their daughter to be classy yet still marry down, they sent me a package today. Am I blessed or what?

No comments: