Thursday, August 9, 2007

Tan Lines

Barefoot is not the order of the day on Rusty. Even though the weather is decidedly summerish, the Army insists on wearing trousers, long sleeves and boots. The more I wear this, the worse I feel for thinking the British Navy’s topical whites (the same thing as our summer whites with shorts) looked silly. Anyone who says that white leather dress shoes with knee high socks and shorts is anything less than stylish has never worn ACU(WABUS)s (Army Combat Uniform (Worn Also By Unlucky Sailors)) in August in Baghdad. I’m taking my summer whites in for tailoring when I get back, against American regulations or not.

Back to my point. The only time I wear shorts outside is walking to and from the gym and to and from the shower. The only time I wear my foot-massaging Addidas shower shoes is walking to and from the shower. Today I noticed that I have tan lines on my feet. I always thought Kate was a little neurotic about sunscreen (I can say that in this forum since it is a matter we have agreed to separate opinions), but now I’m rethinking. I’m still not convinced that sunscreen is needed for playing in the backyard for fifteen minutes, but sunscreen may have some merit in the desert. I still won’t put it on just to go to the shower, but I will reserve judgment and withhold derision from those who do.

1 comment:

The Queen said...

We haven't agreed to disagree...I am just right.