Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bound to Happen

Explosions! Fire! Destruction! Living in a war zone, it is just a matter of time, and two days ago was my time. Yes, my building was “got.”
We had a voltage spike from 220 to over 400 volts on the generator that supplies my barracks. It wreaked havoc on our building. One of the switchboards started smoking. The air conditioner was down for at least five hours. Many people lost everything. Well, they lost their DVD players, TV’s, personal refrigerators, and some even lost their alarm clocks. I got off easy – only lost a power supply to my computer which I replaced for $35 – but that is only because I don’t have a TV or refrigerator. The internet, which I got rid of, was down for a day which almost gave me the feeling that I would suspect an investment broker would get when he sells a stock right before it crashes.
We’re recovering. The AC is back, and people are managing without big screen TV’s. Just goes to show that no matter how much steak and lobster you have, war is hell.

No comments: