Saturday, June 2, 2007

Today's Uniqueness

Every day is unique, even if only in date. When you don't travel more than half a mile in any direction and every vehicle (except the honey suckers) that you see is tan, you have got to find the small stuff to add the variety and spice to life. Really, there are many changes that make every day unique if you count things as trivial as underwear and socks. N.B. that last sentence is faulty on at least three counts: a) some would say changing underwear is not a trivial change, b) it is more of a cycle than a change, and c) it does not make the day unique if you do it every day. Then there are the changes like I made to my uniform by trying to hold my dinner tray while taking out the trash - that change involved a delectable Mexican cheese sauce which is an improvement on anything, Army cammies not excepted. Today's other change, which was not nearly as tasty, involve me getting a (local area only - sorry Kate) cell phone. I have always maintained that any job where you are not important enough to have an issued cell is a good job, but if you're going to be on a cellular leash Iraqi cell service is the way to go. I missed one call, got a call that was intended for someone else, and failed to reach the chief on the three times I tried to use the stinking thing. Doesn't make me want to by stock in Iraqna, but it makes the leash bearably longer.