Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Slow going

Today's big event, not quite at the milestone level, was that I worked out for the first time since my operation. The operation really took any guilt out of being lazy while at home because I was, after all, convalescing. I paid the price for the convalescence today. I had tried to get back in the routine I had been in before on Monday, but half-way through my run (treadmill) we had incoming so I had to go to the bunker. (Which used to be a right turn out of the gym door but has been moved to the left side of the exit. No one told me.) Being mortared is another convenient excuse to put off working out, so I quit rather than go back in and finish. Blamed it on loss of momentum. Quitting is always easier when you use big words.

Today was the day I would not take the convenient excuse, unless the bad guys offered it. I drank a bottle of water before I left, and after walking the eighth of a mile to the gym almost felt dehydrated again. Luckily the gym has a refrigerator with plenty of water in it. Unfortunately, the refrigerator is set at about 70F which is a good setting for an air conditioner, but by my western standards is a bit high for a fridge. I made it through my three miles, a distance I have chosen because any longer on a treadmill gets boring, about three and a half minutes slower than where I had been. Granted, I wasn't pushing myself too hard, but adding over a minute a mile is pretty pathetic.

It should be easy to drop time now that I have started so poorly. Am I a silver lining guy or what?

1 comment:

The Queen said...

Guess we spoiled you when we were home. Although doesn't look like my standards had to be that high! You're making me feel guilty though- I thought keeping up with our crazy girls WAS exercise!