Thursday, July 26, 2007

101st Post

I am tired so this will be shorter than it should be. It's still hot here. I got a haircut today. Still trying to get paperwork in for med school application.

There was another memorial tonight. It is the third I've been to even though there have been many on the FOB. Every soldier memorialized has had in common that they like vehicles, one trucks, one his Passat, and this soldier motorcycles. Internal combustion seems to be a big part of every soldier's life. In addition to planning on getting a Harley Davidson when he got home, this guy also like martial arts and was really excited about the next evolution of his tattoo, or so his friends said. I probably would have had nothing in common with him even though the standing room only in the chapel proves he was a good person. He also had five children, and this was the first memorial I went to that had pictures of family as well as soldier pictures. His youngest was a daughter, Hannah, who was going to turn seven this year, and wanted her dad to be home for her birthday. His oldest son liked art, and his dad had set up an apprenticeship with his tattoo artist. His unit was supposed to have gone home in June, but they got extended from 12 to 15 months. Even so, his wife gave a message to his company about how proud she was of them and how she really hoped her husband's memory would inspire them to keep doing what they are. In short, it sounded like she really supported what her husband was doing. I hope this all ends soon, but even more I hope it ends successfully.

He would have been 28 on August 3.

I just put new sheets on my bed and am going to try them out.

No comments: