Monday, July 30, 2007

Lieutenant "Trend Setter"

I was never known as the cool kid back in high school, and it was not until I joined the Navy that everyone started to dress like me. As a matter of fact, I would mark "fashion leadership and trend pioneering" as one of my least developed qualities. I don't remember that trait on the aptitude tests results, but I probably never scored high enough to register. Until I joined the Army. As far as I know, no member of my battalion missed service for appendicitis before I did. By the time I got back, two other people had been taken out with what will soon be called "the cool kids infection." Today I went in for work and the sergeant who works the night desk for the intelligence section said she was having generalized belly pain yesterday which localized to the right lower quadrant coupled with loss of appetite. What can I say? They aspire to be me. They flew her out for appendicitis this morning. I expect more will find the golden symptoms in the next few days.

In the nineties the saying was "I want to be like Mike." Here in Rusty at the moment it's "I want to be like Matt." Honestly, if I was in the Army I'd want to be like anyone in the Navy, too. Can't blame 'em.

2 comments:

The Queen said...

Is it something in the water? Oh wait...you don't have any! Did the water come back? Don't leave me hanging...

spanks. said...

i have had, on repeated occassions and from all ranks up to and including that of major, army personnel express with regret and disgust that they ought to have joined the navy...

to which i can only respond:
"well, sure, but look where that got me. hey, can you hold my weapon while i pee?"